Ericsson has been back at its crystal ball again, and released its second Game Changer paper, ‘The IP Imperative’, the latest instalment in a six-part series that details the fundamental factors that are driving change across the TV and Media industry, and features a series of additional predictions of what the ecosystem will look like come 2020.
Based on Ericsson’s analysis of the present IP ecosystem, key predictions for the year 2020 include the following:
- 2020 will see 50 billion connected devices, of which 15 billion are video enabled
- By 2020 video will represent 50% of all mobile broadband traffic
- IP will be the dominant video delivery network technology
- Global IPTV subscribers reach 200 million
- Time spent watching on-demand and time-shifted content will reach 50:50 parity with linear and live TV
“The impact of the internet on our daily lives is arguably the single biggest technological innovation of the last century and its effect on entertainment has been equally dramatic,” explain Per Borgklint, Senior Vice President and Head of Business Unit Support Solutions, Ericsson. “The adoption of IP has meant that the previously linear nature of broadcast television has shifted to a new interactive and on-demand paradigm that has delivered a path beyond the living room to connected devices all around the world.”
The paper is available to download here.